The Board of Christian Outreach invites you to participate in this act of love.
November 10 is Veterans Day Sunday. To honor our own vets, the Board of Christian Outreach invites every person – adult and child – to write a letter of gratitude to a man or woman who is currently deployed in the U.S. Military.
Letters can be hand written or typed. Children can draw a picture. Multiple copies of the same letter that is written on a computer may be submitted.
This may take five minutes of your time, but it brings many minutes of joy to the recipient and others with whom your letter will be shared.
Don’t know what to say?
- Start with a salutation, such as “Dear Hero,” or Dear Brave One”
- Express your thanks for their selfless service and for their commitment and bravery
- Avoid politics completely and religion in excess (“I’m praying for you” is fine)
- Share a little about yourself – family, hobbies, work, school, pets, travel. This is what they are serving to protect. But keep it upbeat. Please, no sad events.
- Share a bit about life and interests – sports, weather, music, movies, food, books
- Adults: include your name and contact information (mail or email) so recipients can reply if they so choose
- Children: first names only and no contact information. Please give your age. No glitter!!
- Please – no individual envelopes. Do not fold. Place all loose artwork and letters/cards in the box that you will find on a table at the back of the House of Worship.
Please join BOCO in honoring our United Church of Rowayton veterans and showing our appreciation to our Deployed Troops.
OUR GOAL: 100 LETTERS
The Board of Christian Outreach is also collecting Care Package items that will be given to Deployed Troops. Please stick to the list of suggested items.
You may drop these items off in the appropriate box in the back of the House of Worship.
Here’s an idea! Drop them off when you bring in your letters (see reverse side).
Due date: Sunday, November 10.
Unused greeting cards or stationery
- Batteries (AAA, AA; packs of 4 or fewer)
- Mini flashlights
- Gum, mint, breath strips
- Knit hat, scarf
- Paracord survival bracelets
- Flash drives
- Ear buds
- Gift cards to Visa, MasterCard, American Express
- Lip balm, Chapstick
- Dental floss
- Deodorant (solid only; 3 oz. or less)
- Disposable razors (packs of 5 or fewer)
- Non-aerosol shaving gel in tubes
- Individual packets of moist toilettes (30 wipes or fewer)
- Hand/foot warmers
- Foot powder (travel size)
- Cotton swabs (pack of 50 or fewer)
- Facial tissues (travel pack)
- Mini-sewing kit